What is the Cervantes Institute?
In its own words as it appears in it official web: “The Cervantes Institute is the public institution created by Spain in 1991 to universally promote the teaching, study and use of Spanish and contribute to the dissemination of Hispanic cultures abroad.” His Honor Presidency corresponds to S.M. The King of Spain and the Executive Presidency is exercised by the President of the Spanish Government.
Among other functions:
To issue, on behalf of the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training, the official diplomas of Spanish DELE, the only official diploma on knowledge of the internationally recognized Spanish language, and to organize the examinations for its obtaining.
Accredit public and private institutions as centers for the teaching of the Spanish Language. This is carried out through the SACIC (SISTEMA ACREDITACIÓN CENTROS INSTITUTO CERVANTES)
What is the Cervantes Institute Accreditation System for Institutions Teaching Spanish (SACIC)?
SACIC is a comprehensive system that defines the conditions, requirements and criteria to be met by institutions teaching Spanish as a foreign language as concerns their academic activity, teaching staff, premises and facilities, administration, information and advertising.
Accredited institutions must conclude an agreement with the Cervantes Institute, prior to which a favorable report must be issued verifying that they meet the technical and academic standards established and comply with all legal formalities required to engage in educational activities.
A favorable technical-academic report is contingent upon an exhaustive assessment of the following areas of the institution’s activity:
1. Academic activity and teaching quality
1.1. Educational planning that ensures suitable learning progress
1.2. Qualified teaching staff
1.3. Effective methodology suited to students’ needs
1.4. Evaluation of knowledge
1.5. Student progress counseling
2. Premises and facilities
2.1. Suitable premises and furnishings
2.2. Duly equipped classrooms
2.3. Sufficient materials and facilities
3.1. Efficient administration and customer service-oriented organization model
3.2. Qualified administrative staff
3.3. Veracity and accuracy of certificates and administrative documents
3.4. Supplementary services
4. Information and advertising
4.1. Complete, detailed information
4.2. Offering accurately reflected
4.3. Itemised list of course registration and supplementary service fees
Students choosing Cervantes Institute-accredited institution to learn Spanish are ensured that it:
– It is compliant with all legal formalities required to provide education services.
– You have a teaching program in place that guarantees students’ learning progress.
– Have a qualified teaching staff.
– Adapts its methodology to students.
– Routinely assesses its programs and courses.
– Encourages students to sit the exams to earn a diploma in Spanish as a foreign language (Diploma of Spanish as a Foreign Language, (DELEs) at the institution itself or at nearby examination centers.
– Counsels students on their progress.
– You have satisfactorily equipped classrooms and other educational facilities.
– You have nimble procedures in place to ascertain users’ opinions.
– Responds to students’ complaints and claims.
– Furnishes itemised information on the courses and services offered.
– Advertises its offering accurately and straightforwardly.