Students Visa

1. What must you know before making an application for a student visa?

What are the conditions to be considered as a student?

You are a student if you come to Spain with the aim of studying, making an internship or do research work in a Spanish establishment officially recognized whether is for educational or scientific purpose and whether is private or public.
Who is elegible to get a visa to study in Spain?
The students living in countries that don’t have agreements with Spain have to make a visa application for their studies. (See the list of these countries below.) Furthermore, the students who don’t need a visa for a period of 90 days will still have to make a visa application if they stay longer. Finally, the students who come from Schengen area or from Switzerland won’t need a Spanish study visa.
What is the period of validity of the Spanish study visa?
The period of validity of the visa corresponds to the dates of the beginning and the end of your Spanish classes.
Can foreign student’s relatives get a visa for the same period?
The foreign students that have a study visa can indeed ask for a visa for their relatives to enter and stay in Spain during their studies or their researches.

2. Get a visa – Steps:

2.1. Conditions:


– People living in the Schengen area and in Switzerland do not need a visa to study in Spain.
– People living in the following countries do not need a visa if the period of stay is shorter than 90 days. Albania, Andorra, Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, South Korea, Costa Rica, Chile, El Salvador, United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Vatican, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Uruguay, Venezuela.
– If you comply none of these conditions, you will have to make a visa application to come to study at Hispania Schools.


2.2. Steps to obtain a study visa:

1st step: Consult your consulate or the Spanish embassy of your place of residence about Spanish visa requirements (at least 120 days before your departure.)
2nd step: Join one of the Spanish courses of Hispania Schools, by indicating your nationality and the specific study visa requirements in your country. We will send you the same day a certificate of enrolment (study visa invitation letter) to our Spanish courses.
3rd step: The certificate of enrolment to our Spanish courses is very important. It guarantees that you are well registered on our courses, that you have paid all the fees, specifies the dates of your stay etc. It will be asked by the embassy or the consulate of your place of residence at the time of your application visa.
Note: no certificate of enrolment will be delivered without the payment of all the fee of the course.

Documents to be supplied at the time of our visa application*:

  • 4 recent passport photos
  • Valid Passport for a minimum of 6 months before the expiry date
  • Completed visa application form
  • Certificate of enrolment from Hispania Schools
  • Certificate of a place of residence in Spain. This certificate will be supplied by Hispania Schools
  • Medical certificate guaranteeing that you are immune against the yellow fever, cholera and the plague. Furthermore it has to guarantee that you are free of mental illness and drug addictions. A translation into Spanish can be requested.
  • A private health insurance policy.
  • Certificate of a clean police record, a translation into Spanish can be requested. Get the certificate in the police station of your place of residence. To have your certificate you have to live in the town for 6 months at least
  • You have to attest that you are solvent during your stay in Spain.
  • You can prove your solvency thanks to your certificate of enrolment which we will send you, thanks to a letter of your legal guardians certifying that you are under their financial responsibility or the presence of at least €1000 on your bank account or in holiday voucher. 

*Note: This information may be incomplete and subject to change. The documents to supply for a visa application are often updated, that is why we recommend you to consult the Spanish embassy or consulate of your place of residence to have the precise information about the documents to supply.


For your visa application it will be necessary to comply with all the elements evoked above and the Spanish visa invitation letter of Hispania Schools.


It is necessary to know that we are not the decision-makers in the process of obtaining your visa, only the Spanish embassy or the consulate decides to grant you the study visa.


If your visa application is refused we will pay you off the fees that you paid excepted €200 that we will serve to cover the administrative costs of your application. If you manage later to obtain a visa, you will not have to pay the administrative costs again.

Would you like to learn Spanish with us?