Students Visa

We are here to help you

Hispania Schools will assist you throughout the visa application process, which can be quite complex and time-consuming. We have years of experience helping non-EU citizens obtain their long-term student visas. You can be sure that we will be with you all the way!

European Union students

Spain is one of the countries which belongs to the Schengen area. Movement from one country to another within the Schengen area is carried out without border controls. Therefore, citizens of the European Union do not need to apply for a visa to study in our schools.

Non-EU students attending Spanish courses of 12 weeks or less

If you are not a citizen of the European Union and would like to attend a Spanish course at one of our schools in Spain for up to 12 weeks, you will need a visa. You must request it before embarking on your trip as it is not possible to obtain one after your arrival in Spain.

The following nationalities can stay up to 90 days in Spain without a visa:

United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Dutch Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Switzerland, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela.

What type of visa do you need?

You will need to apply for a specific type of student visa, depending on the length of your studies, as explained below:

    • Less than 180 days (type D visa)

      If you plan to study in Spain for between three and six months.

    • More than 180 days (“open” type D visa)

      If you plan to study in Spain for more than six months. This type of visa allows you to obtain the Residence Card (NIE) and continue your studies from within Spain after your first visa expires.

When and where should you request a Visa?

We recommend that you apply for your visa between 5 and 9 weeks before the start of your Spanish course. Please note that Spanish consulates require you to make an appointment in advance for a long-term visa application.

You should contact the Spanish consulate in your country of origin to find out where you should go to apply. A complete list of Spanish embassies and consulates is available here.


Frequently Asked Questions

  • Citizens of countries belonging to the European Union do not need a visa to enter Spain.
  • Citizens of many countries (such as the USA, Brazil, Japan, Korea…) can enter and stay in Spain for a period of 3 months without a visa. If you are going to stay longer you must apply for a student visa (type D) before coming to Spain.
  • Students from other countries should contact their nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate to find out if they need to obtain a visa.
  • Hispania Schools can help students apply for visas by providing an official letter of invitation if necessary.

The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain has a complete list of the addresses of the consulates and embassies in Spain. Visit the page here


We provide the Invitation Letter at no cost. Before sending it to you, we require the payment of the complete program, including the course and accommodation. We can send you a digital copy by email, which in some cases may be sufficient. If you need the original copy by regular mail or express mail, we will only charge you the costs charged by the postal service.

If your visa request has been denied after making the full payment of your study trip, you must send us the official, original and certified letter of denial from the embassy and we will refund the full fee (minus the administrative fees).

Documents needed to apply for a Visa

Below are the required documents that you must deliver to the Spanish embassy in the country of application:

  1. Completed visa application form (visa application).
  2. Current passport (copy of all pages).
  3. Two recent passport sized photos.
  4. Letter of invitation from the school for a full-time program (intensive course).
  5. Confirmation of the total payment of your course.
  6. Academic program.
  7. Full coverage medical insurance without pre-amortization period and copays (no grace period and no copays).
  8. Proof of financial means (at least €570 per month).
  9. Medical certificate confirming that you do not suffer from any illness that requires you to be quarantined.
  10. Criminal record certificate with the apostille certificate (issued in the last five years by the relevant authorities in your country of origin).
  11. Proof of accommodation (contract / rental agreement, host invitation – Act of manifestation – if you plan to stay during your studies with friends or relatives).
  12. Visa application fee.

Note that:

  • The consulate may ask you for additional documents.
  • The additional documents required may vary according to each consulate or the regulations of your country of origin.